HexCon is coming to NYC. Grab your tickets before they sell out! REGISTER NOW

System Integrity ProtectionSolved

Participant
Discussion
2 months ago

Hi guys, I’m trying to install some software on my Mac that requires modifying system files. But for some reason, I am not able to do it. I’ve heard that disabling System Integrity Protection (SIP) might help. What is SIP, and is it safe to disable it for this purpose? 

Replies (9)

Marked SolutionPending Review
Participant
2 months ago

Hello @pauel,  
SIP is a security feature introduced by Apple in macOS El Capitan. It’s designed to protect critical system files and processes from being modified or tampered with, even by the root user. This helps prevent malware and other malicious software from compromising your system. For more details, you can refer to this Apple document: https://support.apple.com/en-in/102149.

Participant
2 months ago

Thanks for the explanation, @ryker. I’ve seen some guides suggesting that it’s better not to disable SIP. Is it safe to do so? 

Participant
2 months ago

Generally, it’s not recommended to disable SIP because doing so can make your system vulnerable to malware and other security risks. However, there are some scenarios where you might need to disable it temporarily, such as when you need to modify system files or install certain software that requires access to protected areas. But remember, always re-enable SIP as soon as you’re done 

Participant
2 months ago

That makes sense. So, how do you disable and re-enable SIP? 

Participant
2 months ago

You can disable SIP by booting into recovery mode and using the terminal. Here are the steps: 

1. Restart your Mac and press and hold the power button to boot into recovery mode. 
  2. Once in recovery mode, go to utilities >> terminal. 
  3. In the terminal, type “csrutil disable” and press enter. 
  4. Restart your Mac. 

To re-enable SIP, follow the same steps but use “csrutil enable” instead. 

Now you will be able to make the necessary changes. 

Participant
2 months ago

Exactly, as @akemi mentioned. Additionally, you can check the status of SIP by using the command ‘csrutil status’ in the Terminal if you forget whether SIP is enabled or not. 

Participant
2 months ago

Hello, 

I tried entering Recovery mode using the method described here, but nothing is happening. 

Participant
2 months ago

You might be using an intel-based Mac rather than a silicon-based Mac. For an intel-based Mac, restart your Mac and hold down command (⌘) + R to boot into recovery mode. 

Participant
1 month ago

Yes, I was using an Intel-based Mac. It worked, appreciate your help!