HexCon is coming to NYC. Grab your tickets before they sell out! REGISTER NOW

Sideloading and marketplace app installation on Apple devicesSolved

Participant
Discussion
2 months ago

Hey everyone, I just found out that Apple is enabling sideloading on iPhones with the iOS 17.4 update. Can someone explain what this means and how it will impact regular users like us?

Replies (5)

Marked SolutionPending Review
Participant
2 months ago

Hi @edmund , yes, sideloading and marketplace app installation are significant updates! With iOS 17.4, iPhone users in the European Union (EU) will be able to download and install apps from alternate marketplaces, not just the App Store. It is due to the EU’s Digital Markets Act which aims to prevent anti-competitive practices by big tech companies like Apple.

Participant
2 months ago

This is interesting. I live in Germany, so I guess this will affect me. I’m a bit worried about the safety aspect though. How safe is it to sideload apps on an iPhone?

Participant
2 months ago

Hi @skyler ,
Apple is aware of the potential risks and is implementing several safeguards to ensure user safety. For instance, apps will need to meet Apple’s standards to ensure accuracy, functionality, safety, security, and privacy. There will also be authorization requirements for marketplace developers, app installation, and additional malware protection. Plus, app tracking transparency will still be in place to ensure user consent for data tracking.

Participant
2 months ago

That’s good to know. But what if I don’t want to use third-party marketplaces? Can I disable this feature? Also, can anyone elaborate more on how the new settings will work? I manage several devices with the help of Hexnode UEM for my business, and I’m concerned about maintaining control over app installations.

Hexnode Expert
2 months ago

Great question, @edmund. If you’d rather not use third-party marketplaces, you can manage it. Hexnode UEM has added a feature that lets you prevent app installations from third-party marketplaces. By unchecking the option Install apps from third-party app marketplaces under iOS advanced restrictions, you can block apps from being installed from these marketplaces.

Additionally, with iOS 17.4, users can manage their default marketplace through a new setting. This allows you to set an alternate marketplace as the default instead of App Store. If necessary, you can delete any marketplace app, which will also remove all related apps and data from the device and stop updates from that marketplace. If you prefer not to use third-party marketplaces, you can restrict them using Hexnode.

I hope this clears things up for you. If you have any questions about sideloading and marketplace app installation on Apple devices, feel free to reach out.

Best regards,
Ben Clarke
Hexnode UEM