HexCon is coming to NYC. Grab your tickets before they sell out! REGISTER NOW

Renaming domain-joined laptops in Active DirectorySolved

Participant
Discussion
3 months ago

Hey! 

I need to rename some domain-joined Windows laptops. These laptops have corresponding computer accounts in Active Directory and are organized into specific Organizational Units (OUs) based on office locations. Additionally, some laptops are connected to the domain through VPN linked with the existing names. Is there a way to rename my devices without causing any issues? 

Replies (3)

Marked SolutionPending Review
Hexnode Expert
3 months ago

Hello @dylan !

You can rename your devices in two ways:

Renaming via System Settings:
Navigate to Settings > System > About > Rename this PC.
This will change the computer name locally and update the computer name in Active Directory.

Renaming via PowerShell:
Run the following PowerShell command on your Windows devices:

Here, the -DomainCredential parameter ensures the command has the necessary permissions to make changes in Active Directory.

Participant
3 months ago

Great, thank you for the solutions. Should I consider any prerequisites or best practices before attempting to apply any of these methods? 

Hexnode Expert
3 months ago

Please keep the following points in mind when renaming your devices using any of the methods mentioned above:

1. VPN certificates: Verify that the VPN connection re-establishes successfully after the rename and that any linked certificates are updated or reissued as needed.
  2. Post-rename checks: After renaming, verify that the computer can still authenticate with the Active Directory domain and access network resources.
  3. Data backup: Before renaming, ensure that important data is backed up and document the changes for future reference.

Hope this helps. If you encounter any further issues or need additional assistance, feel free to reach out to us. 

Best regards, 
Ben Clarke   
Hexnode UEM