HexCon is coming to NYC. Catch the early-bird price before the time's up! Book me a spot

How does BYOD work differently on iOS and Android devices?Solved

Participant
Discussion
1 month ago

Hello all,

I’m setting up BYOD policies and have faced challenges managing web browsers across devices. For instance, on an Android, we can install Chrome separately in the personal and work profile. But the way it works is different on iOS. Seems more complex on iOS, as the system doesn’t support multiple Safari browsers.

Is there any possibility of pushing two different Safari browsers to the enrolled device, one to use personally and one for work?

I’m exploring alternative solutions, including third-party browsers.

Replies (3)

Marked SolutionPending Review
Participant
1 month ago

Thank you very much for your response and for answering my question. I truly appreciate it. @stephen and @abbi

Participant
1 month ago

Hey @chloe

If separating web browsing between work and personal use is crucial, you might want to consider deploying a third-party browser for iOS like Chrome or Firefox. By using VPP app configuration, you can customize browser settings and push the application to install through Hexnode for work purposes on iOS devices. This way, employees can use Safari for personal browsing and the third-party browser for work-related activities. It will ensure some level of separation and security.

Participant
1 month ago

Hi @chloe

The concept of having two instances of the same app isn’t natively supported on iOS devices.

Solution 1: You may deploy enterprise VPNs or use web content filtering policies that can help enforce corporate browsing policies.

Solution 2: You may try the Business Container policy, which controls the flow of personal and corporate data between apps on iOS devices. Set up a Business Container to control data flow between managed and unmanaged apps and accounts. It uses restrictions to prevent the usage of managed corporate data outside containers or destinations managed by it. For instance, managed corporate data can only be accessed by managed applications installed by the UEM.