Hiding and Locking apps on iOS 18Solved

Participant
Discussion
3 weeks ago

Hello, 

With the recent iOS 18 update, I’ve seen mention of new features allowing users to lock and hide apps. In our organization, we issue iPhones to employees and want to prevent unauthorized access to certain apps containing sensitive information. Has anyone implemented these features in a business setting? How reliable are they for securing apps from unauthorized access? 

Replies (5)

Marked SolutionPending Review
Participant
3 weeks ago

Hi @tommy

We’ve recently implemented these features across our team for similar reasons, and they’ve proven quite effective. You can lock apps using Face ID, Touch ID, or your passcode to prevent unauthorized access. Here’s how it works: 

1. Long press the app. 
  2. Tap Require Face ID (or Touch ID or Passcode). 
  3. Tap Require Face ID (or Touch ID or Passcode) again to confirm. 

Once locked, anyone trying to open the app will need to authenticate with Face ID (or Touch ID or Passcode).

And as for hiding the app, it follows a similar procedure: simply long press the app, tap Require Face ID (or Touch ID or Passcode), then tap Hide and Require Face ID (or Touch ID or Passcode). The app will be moved to a Hidden folder at the bottom of your App Library. To access the hidden apps in this folder, Face ID, Touch ID, or a passcode is required, ensuring only authorized users can see or access the hidden apps. 

Participant
3 weeks ago

I tried hiding pre-installed apps on my iPhone, but I wasn’t able to do it. I can hide apps that I downloaded from the App Store, though. Can we not hide apps that are pre-installed? 

Participant
2 weeks ago

Yes, you can only hide the apps you’ve downloaded separately from the App Store. Pre-installed apps cannot be hidden. 

Participant
2 weeks ago

Oh, okay. Is it the same for locking also? 

Participant
2 weeks ago

When it comes to locking apps, you can lock most of them, except for a few like Calculator, Camera, Clock, Contacts, Find My, Maps, Shortcuts, and Settings. Other than those, it’s definitely possible to lock the apps you need.