HexCon is coming to NYC. Catch the early-bird price before the time's up! Book me a spot

Exploring macOS Login and Security ScreensSolved

Participant
Discussion
1 month ago

Hey everyone, I’ve noticed that Macs have a few different login screens, I’m not sure what exactly the different scenarios are though.

Replies (3)

Marked SolutionPending Review
Participant
1 month ago

The login window is what you see when you start up your Mac or switch users. It typically displays user icons or a name and password form, depending on your settings. You can modify them in System Settings > Lock Screen preferences. 

Participant
1 month ago

That’s interesting! What about the FileVault unlock screen and the Lock screen? 

Participant
1 month ago

FileVault is a security feature on Macs that encrypts your data to protect it from unauthorized access. If FileVault has been turned on on your Mac, it will require a FileVault-enabled user to unlock the encryption key. So when you start your Mac, it will go to a screen, which looks like the regular login screen but with an extra progress bar showing the status of decryption of the system volume. Regarding the lock screen, it appears when your Mac locks itself after a period of inactivity or when locked manually. It shows your selected user account and prompts you to enter your password to unlock and resume your session. It is a quick way to secure your Mac without logging out.