HexCon is coming to NYC. Grab your tickets before they sell out! REGISTER NOW

Automatically power on a device when power cable is connected restrictionSolved

Participant
Discussion
2 months ago

Hey everyone, I have a question regarding the minimum OS requirements for the “Automatically power on a device when power cable is connected” restriction under Android Advanced Restrictions. I understand that Samsung Knox 2.8+ is required, and there are dependencies based on the chipset. However, I am specifically interested in knowing the minimum Android OS version required for this restriction. 

Replies (5)

Marked SolutionPending Review
Hexnode Expert
2 months ago

Hello @marien

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

For the restriction “Automatically power on a device when the power cable is connected”, the feature is supported from Android Marshmallow 6.0 onwards. However, it is important to note that for Android OS 12 and lower, this feature is compatible only with Qualcomm & LSI chipsets. From Android OS 13 and above, it is supported on all devices regardless of the chipset. 

If you have further questions, feel free to ask. 

Cheers, 
Eden Pierce 
Hexnode UEM 

Participant
1 month ago

Hello there, I tried the restriction “Automatically power on a device when power cable is connected” and “Automatically power off a device when power cable is detached”. The device that I used checks every box you have mentioned above, but they didn’t work for me. Am I missing something? 

Hexnode Expert
1 month ago

Hello @aitana,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Can you confirm whether you have attached the KPE Premium license key to the device? This is required for these restrictions to function.

Cheers,
Eden Pierce
Hexnode UEM

Participant
1 month ago

Oh, I see. I have the key, but how am I supposed to add it to the device? 

Hexnode Expert
1 month ago

First, you need to add the key to the Hexnode UEM portal: 

1. On your Hexnode UEM console, navigate to Admin > Knox Platform for Enterprise
  2. Enter the purchased KPE Premium License Key and then click on the Add button. 
  3. Next, attach the key using the policy. 

Here’s how to apply the policy: 

1. Navigate to the Policies tab. 
  2. Create a new policy or choose an existing one. Provide a suitable name for the policy if you choose to create a new one. 
  3. Go to General Settings > Knox Platform for Enterprise > Configure
  4. Select the KPE Premium license key from the list of keys already added to the portal. 
  5. Associate the policy with the target devices. 

Now you can associate the policy with the “Automatically power on a device when the power cable is connected” and “Automatically power off a device when the power cable is detached” restrictions configured to the device. 

Additionally, for the restriction “Automatically power off a device when the power cable is detached”, support starts from Android Nougat 7.0 onwards. 

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. 

Cheers, 
Eden Pierce 
Hexnode UEM