HexCon is coming to NYC. Grab your tickets before they sell out! REGISTER NOW

Android fastbootSolved

Participant
Discussion
2 months ago

Hi guys, I’m trying to flash a custom ROM on my Android device, and I’ve heard that I need to use something called Fastboot. What is Fastboot, and how do I use it? 

Replies (8)

Marked SolutionPending Review
Participant
2 months ago

Hey @yuudai! Fastboot is basically a protocol that lets you interact with your Android device at a low level. It’s used to communicate with the bootloader, which is the software that controls the startup process of your device. Fastboot uses commands to flash new firmware, install custom ROMs, and make other significant changes to your device’s software. It operates outside of the regular Android system, so you’re working directly with the core components of the device. 

Participant
1 month ago

Thanks for the explanation, @ezekiel. Is it safe to use Fastboot? 

Participant
1 month ago

Using Fastboot can be safe if you know what you’re doing. However, it’s important to be cautious because flashing the wrong files or improperly using Fastboot can potentially brick your device. Always make sure you have the correct files and follow the instructions carefully. 

Participant
1 month ago

Fair enough. So, how do you enable and use Fastboot? 

Participant
1 month ago

Hey @yuudai

First, you need to enable USB Debugging on your phone. Just go to Settings, find About phone, and then tap on the Build number seven times. This unlocks Developer Options. After that, go back to Settings > System (or directly Developer Options, depending on your device) and switch on USB Debugging

Next, you’ll want to get ADB and Fastboot ready on your computer. You can download the Android SDK Platform Tools from the official Android Developer website. Once you’ve got that, unzip the files into a folder where you can easily find them. 

To get your phone into Fastboot mode, you’ve got two options: 

1. Using ADB
    • Connect your phone to the computer with a USB cable. 
    • Open the command prompt (Windows) or terminal (Mac/Linux) and navigate to where you unpacked the Platform Tools. 
    • Type adb reboot bootloader and press Enter. Your phone should reboot into Fastboot mode. 
  2. Using Buttons
    • Power off your phone. 
    • Hold down the Power and Volume Down buttons together until the phone boots into Fastboot mode. (This button combo might be different depending on your phone model.) 

Once you’re in Fastboot mode, you can start using Fastboot commands. For example, you can check if your computer recognizes your device by typing ‘fastboot devices’ in the command prompt or terminal. If your device shows up, you’re good to go! 

Once you’re done, you can restart your phone by typing ‘fastboot reboot’ in the terminal or command prompt 

Participant
1 month ago

Hello, 
I followed every step correctly, but when I type adb reboot bootloader, I am getting an error. 

Participant
4 weeks ago

Could you let me know if you are using Mac or Linux? On these systems, every ADB and Fastboot command must be preceded by ./. So, where you type adb on Windows, you should type ./adb on Mac and Linux. Similarly, for Fastboot, use ./fastboot instead of fastboot. 

Participant
4 weeks ago

Yes, I was using a Mac. It works fine now. Thank you!