HexCon is coming to NYC. Catch the early-bird price before the time's up! Book me a spot

AirDrop issue on macOS SonomaSolved

Participant
Discussion
1 month ago

Since updating to macOS 14 Sonoma, I’ve been encountering issues with AirDrop. Specifically, when trying to share files from my iPhone to my Mac, my iPhone displays a “waiting” message. While I can transfer files from my Mac to my iPhone without any problem, the reverse doesn’t seem to work. This same problem also occurs when attempting to AirDrop between my iPad and Mac. Has anyone else experienced this since the new update?

Replies (5)

Marked SolutionPending Review
Participant
4 weeks ago

@Aaron, your workaround suggestion worked man! I used the Terminal command you provided via Hexnode’s live terminal, and it appears to have fixed the AirDrop problem on my Macs. Thanks a ton!

Participant
4 weeks ago

To address the AirDrop issue, you can implement a workaround by running the following Terminal command:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plistNoMulticastAdvertisements -bool false

This terminal command configures the mDNSResponder on your Mac to start sending multicast advertisements by setting NoMulticastAdvertisements to false. If mDNSResponder isn’t broadcasting these ads, AirDrop might not work properly. Running this command can help fix AirDrop issues by making sure those necessary multicast advertisements are being sent.

You can use Hexnode’s Live Terminal feature to execute the above command remotely. This feature allows you to execute commands on your Mac directly from the Hexnode portal. Following the command execution, device restart is necessary. You can make use of the Restart Device remote action available in the Hexnode UEM portal to achieve the same.

This should patch things up. It seems like the AirDrop issue started after updating to macOS 14 Sonoma. Hopefully, it will be fixed in the next update.

Participant
4 weeks ago

Yep, tried all of that- restarts, AirDrop toggles, even toggling Bluetooth on and off. Still no luck.

Participant
4 weeks ago

Have you given restarting the devices a shot? Or maybe try toggling AirDrop off and on again on both devices?

Participant
4 weeks ago

I’m facing the exact same problem. Attempted AirDrop between my Macs, both updated to macOS 14 Sonoma. Even when the “Everyone” visibility setting is activated, attempts to share files result in timeouts and failures, despite being logged into the same iCloud account.