HexCon is coming to NYC. Grab your tickets before they sell out! REGISTER NOW

Accessing the iMessage app after applying the restrictionSolved

Participant
Discussion
1 month ago

Hi, I’m managing our company’s iPads and iPhones using Hexnode UEM. I was thinking about disabling the Modify an account restriction. If I do that, will it prevent users from accessing iMessage entirely, or can they still send messages without signing in with an Apple ID?

Replies (3)

Marked SolutionPending Review
Hexnode Expert
1 month ago

Hello @yu-yan!

Disabling the Modify an account restriction prevents users from adding or modifying accounts on their devices. If the user is signed in when the restriction is applied, they will still be able to use iMessage. But they won’t be able to modify or add new accounts.

The option for adding an account is greyed out

iMessage generally requires users to log in with either an Apple ID or a phone number linked to an Apple ID. Without an account already in place, the users wouldn’t be able to send messages via iMessage.

Participant
1 month ago

So, if the user is already signed into iMessage, they can still use it even with the restriction enabled, correct? I should ensure all accounts are set up beforehand to avoid affecting any existing iMessage accounts when I apply the policy, right?

Hexnode Expert
4 weeks ago

Yes, that’s correct! The restriction only stops users from adding or changing accounts, but it won’t kick them out of accounts they’re already signed into, including iMessage. Just ensure they’re signed in before applying the restriction.

Just give us a shout if you have any questions or need anything clarified.

Best regards,
Ben Clarke
Hexnode UEM