Scheduled Message in iOS 18Solved

Participant
Discussion
1 month ago

Hello there, 

I heard that iOS 18 introduces the ability to schedule messages, where the iPhone sends the message at the scheduled time, even if the device is offline. So, does that mean iPhone is storing the data somewhere? Doesn’t that compromise the user’s data integrity, especially if it’s being held somewhere until it’s sent? 

Replies (5)

Marked SolutionPending Review
Participant
1 month ago

Hi @ronnie
Yes, the new schedule message feature in iOS 18 does store the message until the time comes to send it. However, Apple ensures that these scheduled messages are encrypted and stored securely on their servers until they are sent. Once the message is delivered, it is removed from Apple’s servers. So, while the data is stored temporarily, it’s protected with the same level of encryption used for iMessage. 

Participant
1 month ago

Thanks for the info, @finn! Another concern is, what if I change my mind and want to cancel the scheduled message?  

Participant
4 weeks ago

Yes, you can cancel a scheduled message any time before it’s sent. Just go to the Messages app, open the conversation with the scheduled message, and right before the scheduled message, you’ll see an Edit option. When you tap it, you’ll have the option to change the scheduled time, delete the scheduled message, or send it immediately. However, it doesn’t provide the option to modify the contents of the scheduled message. You would need to delete it and create a new one if you want to change the message itself. 

Participant
4 weeks ago

By the way, quick question: how do we know if the message has been sent or not? 

Participant
3 weeks ago

When you schedule a message, the message bubble will have dashed lines as a border, and the time your message is set to be sent will appear above it. Once the message is sent, the bubble becomes a solid color, and the dashed line disappears, indicating that it’s been delivered.