How to configure destroyfvkeyonstandby?Solved

Participant
Discussion
2 months ago

Hey everyone! I’ve been using my Mac for work, and Touch ID is so handy for unlocking it quickly. But lately, whenever I close the lid and my Mac goes into standby mode, I lose the option to use Touch ID when I reopen it. Instead, it asks for my password, and no Touch ID in sight. Any idea how to fix this?

Replies (4)

Marked SolutionPending Review
Participant
2 months ago

Hey @elena! I’ve run into that issue too. What’s happening is that the FileVault decryption key is being erased when your Mac goes to sleep. You can resolve this by configuring the destroyfvkeyonstandby setting. Once you do that, you should be able to continue using Touch ID as usual!

Participant
1 month ago

Thanks @zariah! That sounds like exactly what I need. How do I set it up? Do I need a script, or can I do it from the Terminal? 

Participant
1 month ago

Hi @elena! I had the same issue recently, and what Jerom said is spot on. To fix it, you need to set destroyfvkeyonstandby to 0. This prevents the FileVault decryption key from being wiped when your Mac goes into standby. Just open your Mac’s Terminal and enter:

Then press return, enter your password, and you’re set! This should allow you to use Touch ID when your Mac wakes from sleep.

Participant
1 month ago

Thanks so much, @zariah and @skyler! I really appreciate the help. I’ll try the Terminal command and see how it goes.