HexCon is coming to NYC. Grab your tickets before they sell out! REGISTER NOW

Removing Rapid Security Response on MacSolved

Participant
Discussion
3 days ago

Hey, community, can anyone help me remove Rapid Security Responses from Mac devices? The newer releases have been causing website loading issues and some apps to not launch on the devices at my workplace. 

Replies (5)

Marked SolutionPending Review
Hexnode Expert
3 days ago

Hey @skylar-a , thanks for reaching out to the community.

Rapid Security Responses can be removed from Mac devices by following these steps:

1. Choose the Apple menu on the top left-hand corner of the screen.
  2. From the Menu choose ‘About This Mac’ and inside the opened window, click on the ‘More Info…’ button.
  3. Under ‘macOS’ section, click the info button (the encircled “i”) next to the OS version.
  4. Then proceed to click on ‘Remove and Restart’ and then click ‘Confirm’.

Additionally, if the devices are part of an enterprise management environment at your workplace, then you can check if the MDM software being used has restrictive capabilities which can prevent further installation of Rapid Security Responses across a fleet of Mac devices.

If you are using the Hexnode MDM, you can do the following steps:

1. Navigate to Policies > New Policy. Assign a suitable name and description (optional) for the policy. You can also choose to continue with an existing policy.
  2. Go to macOS > Patches & Updates > Software Update Preferences and click Configure.
  3. Under the ‘Software Update Preferences’ section, select ‘Install Rapid Security Responses’ and choose the ‘Disable’ option.
  4. Then assign your target devices and associate the policy.

This will ensure that Rapid Security Responses will not be installed on those devices moving forward.

Participant
2 days ago

Got it! Thanks for the explanation.

Participant
2 days ago

@kylian_parker Will this removal affect the security of the devices?

Hexnode Expert
2 days ago

Hey @ronnie , Apple recommends that users enforce Rapid Security Responses on Apple devices to ensure maximum security. But if issues do come up, such as the one @skylar-a faces, disabling it would not be such a bad idea because the same security patches and updates that are pushed via Rapid Security Responses will be applied to your devices as an update the next time the devices undergo a full software update.

Participant
2 days ago

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind.