HexCon is coming to NYC. Grab your tickets before they sell out! REGISTER NOW

Unsign configuration profilesSolved

Participant
Discussion
3 months ago

Hey everyone! I’ve been trying to unsign a configuration profile to make it readable. I used to use the following terminal command for this, but now I’m getting a “Verification failure” error.

I even tried using Apple Configurator, but the file won’t open there either. Has the process changed? Any tips on how to unsign a profile without running into errors? It’s been a while since I last did this!

Replies (3)

Marked SolutionPending Review
Participant
3 months ago

Hey @clauss ! You can try this terminal command. It’s working for me, and it’ll give you the XML code, which you can copy and save as a new profile. That way, you can edit the configuration profile as needed:

Participant
3 months ago

Thanks, @elena ! I appreciate the help. I’ll give it a shot. But honestly, it’d be so much easier if there was a way to get the unsigned profile directly, instead of dealing with the XML code. That way, I could just use the file as is!

Hexnode Expert
3 months ago

Hey @clauss ! @elena ’s suggestion is spot-on, but I get what you mean. If you’re looking for the unsigned profile directly, this terminal command should work for you. It will save the unsigned profile right to the location.

For instance, if the signed profile is at “/Users/administrators/Desktop/wifi.mobileconfig”, then the terminal command would be:

And if you want to run this command remotely on your macOS devices, you can use Hexnode’s Live Terminal feature!

Hope this helps! Feel free to reach out if you run into any issues while trying it out.

Cheers,
Ben Clarke
Hexnode UEM