How to create & use app passwords for Google accountsSolved

Participant
Discussion
3 months ago

Hi guys, 

I’m having trouble logging into an app using my Google account. I’m certain I’m using the correct password, but it doesn’t seem to work. After doing some research, I found that I might need something called an “app password” if 2-Step Verification is enabled on my Google account. 

Could someone explain what an app password is and how to create one? I really don’t want to disable my 2SV. 

Replies (3)

Marked SolutionPending Review
Hexnode Expert
3 months ago

Hello @mees,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

An app password is a 16-digit code that allows a less secure app or device to access your Google Account if 2-Step Verification is enabled. It enables these apps to access your account without needing to enter your regular password or complete the 2-Step Verification process. Here’s how to create and use an app password:

1. Go to myaccount.google.com and sign in.
  2. Click on Security in the left menu.
  3. Under Signing in to Google, select 2-Step Verification.
  4. Scroll down to App passwords and click on it. You may need to sign in again.
  5. Enter a name for the app and click Create. This will generate a 16-digit app password.
  6. Use this password to log in to your Google account instead of your regular Google account password.

Please note that the app password will only be shown once during its creation. After that, you won’t be able to see it again, so make sure to note it down.

If you have any more queries, feel free to reach out.

Cheers,
Eden Pierce
Hexnode UEM

Participant
3 months ago

Thank you for your help. One query I have is, are app passwords only for Google accounts? 

Hexnode Expert
3 months ago

Hello @mees

No, app passwords are not exclusive to Google accounts. They are also available for other services like Microsoft, Apple, and Yahoo, among others. Similar to Google, you will need to set up app passwords for these services if 2-Step Verification (2SV) or two-factor authentication (2FA) is enabled. 

If you need assistance with setting up app passwords for any specific service, feel free to reach out. 

Cheers, 
Eden Pierce 
Hexnode UEM