HexCon is coming to NYC. Grab your tickets before they sell out! REGISTER NOW

Stolen Device ProtectionSolved

Participant
Discussion
4 months ago

Hey,
I tried to install the Hexnode profile on my iPhone but got an error saying “Profile Installation Failed. Stolen Device Protection is active. To install this kind of profile, temporarily disable Stolen Device Protection in Settings and try again.”
Can anyone tell me how to disable this Stolen Device Protection?

Replies (7)

Marked SolutionPending Review
Participant
3 months ago

Hi @kipp,
You can disable Stolen Device Protection by going to your device’s settings. Head to Face ID & Passcode > Stolen Device Protection and toggle it off. Since you got this error, I presume you are using an iOS device with version 17.3. On devices running iOS 17.3, MDM enrollment will be blocked if this option is enabled.

Participant
3 months ago

Thank you, @jan!
I’m not familiar with this feature. What exactly is it?

Participant
3 months ago

Stolen Device Protection (SDP) is a security feature introduced in iOS 17.3. It adds an extra layer of protection when your iPhone is away from familiar locations like your home or workplace. SDP helps safeguard your personal information and accounts if your iPhone is ever stolen.

When enabled, it requires biometric authentication (Face ID or Touch ID) for certain actions and imposes a security delay for critical changes to your Apple ID or device settings. This ensures that even if someone knows your passcode, they won’t be able to easily access sensitive information or make significant changes without additional authentication.

Participant
3 months ago

Hey @jan,
Could you explain biometric authentication and what you meant by the security delay? I didn’t quite get that part.

Participant
3 months ago

Absolutely! Biometric authentication means that certain actions, like accessing stored passwords or credit cards, require Face ID or Touch ID. There’s no passcode fallback option, so only the device owner can access these features. Regarding the security delay, if your phone is stolen, there’s a mandatory one-hour wait and a second biometric authentication for critical changes, such as changing your Apple ID password. This delay in time allows the individual whose device is lost to mark it as such and secure their account.

Participant
3 months ago

Just a heads up: starting from iOS 17.4, Stolen Device Protection no longer blocks MDM enrollment when enabled. You can enroll your device in MDM even if SDP is active. 

Participant
3 months ago

Thanks for all the information, everyone! I really appreciate the help.